As part of an original initiative between Agriculture Victoria Research, Dairy Australia and the Planning for Sustainable Animal Industries, Geometry developed the Navigating Dairy Developments (NDD) application, which went live in March 2018. The web-based geospatial decision support platform helps farmers and advisors navigate through regulatory frameworks to fast track dairy farm infrastructure development projects. The NDD application saves farmers time, money and provides a better outcome for their infrastructure investment whilst creating jobs for regional Victoria.
The success of the NDD solution resulted in the further development of the application to form Navigating Farm Developments (NFD), which includes cross-sector solutions for other agricultural industries to allow for more efficient navigation of planning and permit requirements.
NFD delivers a solution to support the intensification of the dairy industries as well as other agricultural industries throughout Victoria. The solution features a scalable and maintainable data management framework and technology to support and the roll out of the digital tool to multiple sectors including sheep, beef, poultry, and piggeries.
The NFD system has the following features:
- Intuitive interface, usable by inexperienced users
- Web-based application available via desktop and mobile web browsers
- Easy to use mapping features with Google Maps type interaction
- Consume multiple distributed data sources
- Online interrogation of planning and other administrative layers
- Comprehensive reporting of results